Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Random Thought of Weddingness


How will she and I incorporate ethnic customs or cultural traditions into the wedding?

Politely speaking, we're mutts whose families are at least 3 generations removed from whatever coasts they left from. What little culture or ethnic traditions I have, and please note that I am not including my like of scotch, I'd like to tie them into the wedding. Somehow. I don't know about you but when I see ethic weddings I get jealous.

Latin weddings make me want to tango and salsa and samba and all that good stuff. (Man, I hope Renegade can do something with a latin twist and I don't mean 'Santana-inspired'.) Indian weddings are so beautiful with endless floral displays and eye popping colors. (Ash rocks.) Asian weddings are equally rich with color, movement and meaning. And Israeli/Jewish weddings, as large as they usually are, are chock full of tradition. And if I may, to G$'s benefit, I'm always involved with the chair lifting. His body can't take the abuse anymore.

So, where am I going with this? [Pause] I'd like to incorporate who we are culturally into the wedding. I almost guarantee that Coco may not be up for this since this means messing with her Vision but here's how I see her responding:

"Culture? You want to infuse culture and tradition in my, I mean, our wedding? Culture? What does that even mean? We're not cultural. You're only cultural on St. Patrick's Day. And then you're annoying and can't keep your hands off of me after drinking all day. The only culture I think we have in us is NYC and Brooklyn. That means the only color you'll see is Black and White. Besides, you'll see color in the bouquets - dark, blood red, almost Black, flowers. How's that for color?"

My response:

"Great. Sounds just like a funeral." [Feel free to insert your own wedding-day-really-a-funeral-for-a-bachelor joke here. I'm not that brave.]

Alas, fear not, for I have a solution. I'll start with one suggestion and see where that gets me - I plan on incorporating the McNamara tartan. (Have I mentioned this before because it sounds awfully familiar?) Here, have a look. Not bad right. I'm not sure how just yet to incorporate it but what about as a ribbon around the boutonnieres for the groomsmen? A tartan tie? A pair of suspenders? Handkerchiefs for the wedding parties? Or as a garter - hubba, hubba. I think it can be done with style and class. It's not like I want to wear a kilt. I'm not asking for a lot - just a bit of color. A splash, per se.

I'm rather confident The Mothers will support my efforts. Thoughts?

[Coco, care to parry and riposte?]

No comments: