Monday, April 23, 2007

More on Wedding Day Photography

We had our first sit-down with Bella Pictures on Friday evening. It went well but I can't say that I didn't expect it. I think the two of us have done enough research to know what we'll like and what we won't like. I think it just really comes down to what the marginal utility per dollar will be of the services they are offering. One of most useful aspects was that the meeting allowed us to see and feel what producing an album will be like. Needless-to-say we disagreed on what the final product will be/look like if we choose to go with Bella.

We have meeting planned with JoVon Photography this Tuesday. I can't imagine it will go much differently but you never can tell.

Am I wrong in expecting a celebratory cocktail at these meetings?? I mean, we are celebrating a wonderful moment in our lives. Perhaps when we actually go to contract. It just seems like the right thing to do.

I am also shocked that up until just recently, I haven't hit Craigslist in search of wedding day services. Craigslist can seem so hit or miss at times. I did, however, come across this wonderful photographer, Farnaz K, who seems to be offering her wedding services at a considerable discount. She is building her wedding portfolio so this might be a great match in terms of value. Check out her stuff here. Thoughts? Preferences?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Am I wrong in expecting a celebratory cocktail at these meetings??" -- Ummm...NOPE!! *burp* Excuse me.

The groom-to-be said...

you're not alone, brother, you're not alone.

Googsnet said...

I am a photography nut. When we got married, I was adamant about finding a photographer that fulfilled to paramount qualifications:

1)Take great photographs (Read: Blatantly obvious) Being able to mix in a favorable balance of natural lighting while not taking too much away from the subject matter. Although tastes may vary, I like the people who shoot RAW over digital. Digital is great for pictures that normal people take, but I would not trust one of the most momentous of days to a format (digital) that produces color casts, moires, etc.

2)THIS MAY BE JUST AS IMPORTANT
A photographer who gives you access to ALL of your proofs (this way they can't charge you for any extras that you may want a year or two down the road) This is extrememly pertinent as a good friend of mine wanted subsequent prints and his photographer, whom had already billed him for $6200 day of the wedding, charged him an extra $350 for 20 (not a misprint) additional photos. That's where these guys/gals get you - the "aftermarket"

Good luck

The groom-to-be said...

thanks for the input googsnet. not sure how I feel about the RAW over DIGI battle but I agree 100% with comment on the proofs.