Monday, February 12, 2007

Green with Envy


For as long as I can remember Coco's been green. Not the green referenced by Cleopatra where "...My salad days, / When I was green in judgment, cold in blood..." harked youthful inexperience, enthusiasm, idealism, innocence and indiscretion - we all know how perfectly green in that sense Coco can be, and is, but the green that speaks to her fascination with global warming, being socially responsible and making sure we own a Prius at some point.

In keeping green we've got the following:

-The Times had an interesting article on a recently wed couple that sought to have aspects of their wedding green. I wouldn't say that this article was the impetus for this post but it definitely contributed.

-The Green Guide

-Ask Ethan @ Spiked!

-Grist

I'm going to start thinking about ways we can make our wedding greener than the black-and-white she wants it to be. I think we may be a bit limited by her tastes and expectations but even the smallest influence of green is better than none at all, right? I think so.

I'm not sure if it was the result of last semester's ethics course or if I just happened upon it in my web travels, but Treehugger is a pretty sweet site dedicated to all things green. Don't worry, it's not as granola as the name might suggest and Birkenstocks are not a requisite to enter. They sponsor some forward-thinking contests on sustainability, my favorite being the Cradle-to-Cradle umbrella. Poke around on this site long enough and you'll be itching to help make this world a greener place. The wedding they profile is a bit out there but I commend Laura and Darren for making it happen. Think it helps that its in New Zealand?

We'll have to give this some thought. Any other green ideas come to mind??

4 comments:

Foodie in Training said...

http://www.americanforests.org/planttrees/

Anonymous said...

hmm, any other green(e) ideas come to mind, you ask?!

Unknown said...

As long as I don't have to wear GREEN bridesmaid dress.

Foodie in Training said...

just one made out of recycled materials. like plastic and aluminum. =)