Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Center Of It All - Well Sort Of

Centerpieces are but one element that should carry the theme (wait, there's a theme?!) of the reception throughout the night. They can can either tie everything together, provide an unnecessary barricade or fall flat and be overlooked. There are a myriad of options out there ranging from candles like hurricane candles and candleabras to vases overflowing with your choice of flowers to centerpieces with both candles AND flowers. I have not doubt that most florists can assemble something to most people's liking (& budget!). I, however, am not like most people.

With that being said, I may be a bit opinionated when it come to planning this wedding but I expect what I want - It's that simple. Almost a year from the date and I have no idea what the perfect centerpiece will be - yet. Here are some of the points to consider:

* size (small, short, tall, narrow, etc.)
* style (candles, flowers, potted, vase, other fauna, etc.)
* motif (classic, modern, country, symmetric and uniform, etc.)
* table layout (size, shape, # of seats, etc.)
* season (ours is a fall wedding)
* time of day (afternoon, evening, night, etc.)
* locations (tables, washrooms, cocktail location, welcome table, ceremony, etc.)
* HER bouquet (flowers, color)
* clean up (or will the guests just take them home?)
...and last but not least
* cost


Above all else I think a centerpiece shouldn't be overwhelming. I want guests to be able to see each other either across from one another at the table or across the dance floor. Height is key for me. I'm not sure what the perfect height is but I would sacrifice girth for height no question. The problem then becomes one of stability. Tables get bumped into (for drunken and/or other reasons) and a centerpiece toppling over during the night is not an option.

Resources are out there but they are limited. I've found these to be helpful at first glance:

* Better Homes & Gardens
* The Knot (Obvsiously)
* Centerpiece Building Blocks
* The Wedding Channel


While there is plenty of time to argue - achem - negotiate over the details here are a few that I'd like to use as inspiration:







7 comments:

Foodie in Training said...

nice post babe but I don't like your "inspiration" all that much, no offense. I still love you.

The groom-to-be said...

..but red. I want red. a dark, lush red.

Anonymous said...

Haven't logged into HWOTH in a while, but Mrs. ep flagged this post to my attention, and she is right, this is one of your most... um, sensitive... to date. (Please feel free to take this as an answer to your "Make sure said photo doesn't look too..." question in the next post.) That, and still summarily rejected by IWANYW. Rough.

The groom-to-be said...

Damn lawyer-speak. Me no speaka lawya - me speaka numba. I don't know if you're with me (for the anti-gay- picture STD topic) or against me (for the 'gay' remark). Wait - that didn't come out right.

Anonymous said...

With you, number boy.

The groom-to-be said...

whew.

Foodie in Training said...

i am against you. No magnets or any of those center pieces. =)